Roof Structure: Roberts Brothers Construction knows that most Garage Addition Roofs are held up by standard trusses. These are very economical — ranging from $88 each in a length that spans a two-car garage — but a downfall is their design blocks the storage space you’d otherwise have in the attic. For just $25 more per truss, you can switch to storage trusses, which are open in the middle. Or, for an additional upgrade you can get attic trusses, which allow for a boxed-in upstairs that’s easy to outfit with shelves or even use as a bonus room.
Garage Doors: Some Garage Addition Plans provide for only the main car door and, with Attached Garages, a door into the house. Roberts Brothers Construction can help put in a standard door to your yard as well, so you can retrieve a rake without opening the overhead door.
Garage Windows: In our Garage Additions & Installation process we like to include windows, which make the exterior more appealing and bring in natural light. That’s something you’ll appreciate, especially if you’re planning to use part of the garage as a workshop.
Garage Floor Space: Depending on the room, we recommend building the garage wide enough to allow 4 or 5 feet of space between the car and the walls, which gives you clearance to open the doors plus plenty of easily accessed storage. Adding 2 feet to the width significantly increases usable space but may not add dramatically to the cost.
Workspace: With our experience & design team, we can help you create a Small Home Workshop on the back wall with a simple 2-foot-deep countertop (standard kitchen depth), that can make a good workbench. To help with cost we recommend using used kitchen cabinets that you can find on popular online listing sites like Craigslist, LetGo or Wallapop. For even more simplicity you can use the space below for boxes or bins on rollers.
Power and Lighting: When building a new Garage Addition, electricity is vital. If we are building a Detached Garage Addition, we will more than likely add a 100-amp breaker on the house’s main panel, a trench to carry conduit to the garage, and a new sub-panel there. We will also need circuits for outlets, interior and exterior lights, and an automatic door opener. If you are wanting motion or daylight sensors for outside lights, we can help with those as well. Our team of Licensed Master Electricians can help with the necessary permits & installation of the complete Electrical System needed to ensure a proper functioning Electrical System.
Walls and Floors: Roberts Brothers Construction knows a thing or two about meeting code. When it comes to building an Attached Garage Addition, we will need to install 5/8 inch thick drywall on the wall shared to the house and add a Fire Rated Door to meet Fire Code. Installing drywall in the rest of the garage is optional but something we highly recommend.
Our Garage Additions & Renovation Services:
ATTACHED GARAGE ADDITIONS:
When choosing an Attached Garage as your solution, here are a few things to ask yourself prior to deciding the size & functionality.
- Will you use it to park cars?
- Will it become a large storage room or a workshop?
- Will you add a workbench to it?
- Will you need several electric outlets?
- Will you need a service door?
- Will you need windows or heating?
DETACHED GARAGE ADDITIONS:
For some homeowners a Detached Garage Addition is the ideal choice. We can help you with understanding the architecture of your home to determine if a detached addition is your best bet.
- Will it confine your view if it’s detached?
- Will you add an Apartment overhead?
- Will you need electricity as these costs can be higher?
- Will you be looking to re sell your home in the near future?
If you have an existing Garage, we can help with renovations to redesign your space and offer more functionality.
- Roberts Brothers Construction can add to the usefulness of your current garage space with a simple renovation.
- Restore the worn area into a clean state including repainting the concrete to installing shelves, we can give you back the utility of a new garage.
Sometimes remodeling your Garage is your best option. Roberts Brothers Construction can help with any Remodeling idea you have & can offer advice and input along the way.
- A Garage Remodeling is a great way to reorganize your Garage into something that gives you everything you need.
- Set up a tool and construction area, a pit to work on your car, or even an indoor play area for the kids.
Thinking about converting your Garage to a game room or apartment? Trust in Roberts Brothers to make the space what you want.
- Consider an entertainment or rec room, complete with heating and air conditioning, TV, couches, pool tables, etc.
- We can add Mother-In-Law Apartments overhead current Garages
- Motorcycle or Car enthusiast? We can help with the transformation into a Custom Mechanics Garage.
In rural areas in Florida Pole Barns are extremely popular and serve a great purpose.
- Custom Pole Barn Additions
- Pole Barn Renovations & Remodeling
- Conversions to a Mechanics Pole Barn
- Horse Pole Barns
- And More